.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Hyalite Ice: Mummy 2,3 and 4

Kyler and I set out on a chilly morning to climb Mummy IV which might obviously require you to climb Mummy II and Mummy III. I lead Mummy II without too much trouble and belayed Kyler up. He was flirting with the screamin barfies at the top. Next we walked up a couple hundred meters to Mummy III and watched the party ahead of us climb it while we basked in the soul-warming sunshine. Mummy III was also my lead so Kyler could keep his strength for the sure-to-be pumpfest that constitutes Mummy IV. I had never lead a mixed route (ice and rock climbing using ice and rock protection) but I knew I had to step into that world eventually and Mummy III wasnt scaring me away. I was able to find decent pro in the beginning but once I got the the crux I had a hard time finding anything trustworthy. Some people dont agree with the saying "when in doubt, run it out" but I do. The longer I farted around try to protect the climb the weaker I was going to get and the stronger the chance of a high consequence fall. So I ran it out into ground-fall territory but got to the top just fine. Im pretty stoked on my first mixed lead; I never got too worried, my confidence stayed high and I didnt have any close-calls (like ice or rock breaking or one of my points slipping off). Kyler really wanted to give Mummy IV a try but due to my content-ness from what I had already done, I wasnt exactly super supportive. We both agreed, as well as the party of two ahead of us, that it was too thin anyway. Oh well. It will be in someday. Attempt #1, lets see how many it takes.
The party ahead of us climbing Mummy II
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my hands!
Kyler's tough guy face. 
Walking up to III and IV with IV visible.
III with climbers and IV above.

Climber Phil leading III the mixed pitch.
We got to hang out with the clouds way up here!


Kyler topping out III



Checking 'er out like a 18 year old school girl...
Remains eye candy, for now. 
III in the shade and IV in the sun, a juxtaposition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment