.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Pine Creek: Green Gully, a North American Classic

Sam, Manfred and I drove out to to Pine Creek hoping to climb one of the most classic chunks of ice in North America... and we did (60m WI3)! I have actually climbed it before, well almost. Lucas and I stopped about three-quarters of the way up last spring. After wallowing through knee to crotch deep snow, we got to the base. Manfred was NOT having fun. I sent it pretty easily using 7 screws. I set up a top-rope and we each got a couple laps on her. I pulled an old piton I found from far climber's left. Gorgeous day up there and we had the whole drainage to ourselves. Luckily I had some tire chains and a shovel in my Trooper; the only reason we didnt spend the night out there. We drove in on frozen snow and plowed through deep wet snow on the way out.
Manfred is doing a little better now. He has his fleece lined down doggy jacket on and is on his fleece blanky for a nap. Wallowing/trenching through the snow tuckered him out!
Sam climbing. For scale: he is right next to the knot connecting the two 70m ropes (i.e. he still has 35m to go). 

Never had any bad feeling about the avy danger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment