.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Longest descent in Hyalite? NE face of Elephant Mountain..... try 1

Ever since I began chasing Hyalite ice, I have been driving by and gaping at this face. A couple of years ago I saw ski tracks down it and they were some of the post inspirational tracks I have ever seen. I just couldnt believe someone had the balls to go up there and ski it. Well, feeling pretty bold, Brett C. and I made a big push for it. The road above Hyalite Reservoir closed early due to poor conditions so we got to skin an extra couple of miles in. Once across the lake and pretty much due West of the Grotto Falls parking lot, we headed up. And up. And up. 4 hours after leaving the car, we got to a high point just before you get to the basin/bowl at the base of the face. I had to be in Townsend in an hour and we were spent from some horrendous bushwhacking so we called it good. The vis was pretty poor and we could tell it was windy up high but up to that point, zero red flags (besides the real time observations of the peak and the forecast of course). I think we got about 1500ft of turns down to Hyalite creek and then the long slog back across the lake. Brett definitely gets VIP of the trip for keeping such a positive attitude even though I knew he was running on empty. I was pooped and I have been out a few times; it was his first of the season! All in all I think we got about 10 miles of travel in. Needless to say I was a couple hours late arriving in Townsend. No, I didnt get it, but Im still stoked on it and cant wait to try again. Big time lines like that dont always happen on your first try. Knowing when to turn around is a valuable asset. The North face of Blackmore, less than a mile away as the crow flies, slid big time that same day.

Why getting up super early is always worth it. 
See those two beautiful lines coming off the summit directly above Brett's head? Yeah...

Hmm, we've been skinning for miles and it still looks a ways off...
Getting closer...

The return trip. Conditions obviously deteriorated on us throughout the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment