.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Hyalite Ice: Treasure Hunter Pilgrimage

Seeing how I am about the only person who knows where this climb is and that it appears that I am the first person to find it, I figure I better go and climb it at least once per year. So, on a solo day with nothing better to do, off I went. I built a little log bridge out of standing dead trees before I remembered that you cant cut trees down if they are close to a creek. Oops! I dont think anyone will notice or care. The first pitch was pretty covered in snow which means the second pitch is as well. Therefore, I just bypassed them both and hiked up to the 3rd pitch where the real climbing is anyway. I free solo'd the steepest section only to put myself in a terrible avalanche scenario. Pitch 3 mellows out on top and there is the quintessential snow 'slab' to climb through. I luckily got to the trees without incident but every hair on the back of neck was reaching for the sun. Yikes! I have never felt the heebee geebee's up there before but something about that slab had me on edge.
The new bridge.
P1 covered in snow.
Slight of Hand across the valley.
The steep left side with the middle curtain barely visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment