.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Cody Ice

The first stop in Cody was Duck Soup WI3. After a fun 'Cody Rodeo' over the river we found Bear and Wolf track on the way to the climb. And I know why. A Big Horn Sheep either fell off the climb or was swept in an avalanche and died at the base of the climb. Clearly, all the local animals knew about it. There wasnt much left. Its a two pitch climb that I thought I could lead in one mega pitch and did but I wouldnt recommend it. With no rope left I was luckily at a point where I could build an anchor and belay Sam up. This was a fun anchor. I used a rock to pound my axes in to the ice then equalized them. I didnt have any screws left so sometimes you have to be crafty. My axe anchor was just as strong as a pair of screws. I found a nice 6 point bull elk shed on the hike out.






The next day we climbed the Schoolhouse Route WI4 three pitches. I climbed this with Lucas years and years ago and remembered it being really fun and pretty easy. It was still fun and pretty easy. You finish way up high on the mountain which gives it a true alpine feel.
P1
P2
P3



No comments:

Post a Comment