.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

A Bridger and Spire Rock kind of weekend

An old friend and roommate from college, Tim, came to town for a ski weekend. His friend also named Tim accompanied him and along with Sam and I and we spent Saturday crushing what was left of Bridger. It got up to 60 on the hill but the sky was overcast all day so the snow actually skied pretty good.
Avoiding the cost of Big Sky, Sam, Manfred and I gambled on the weather and went out to Pipestone with the hopes of climbing a route we both have been wanting to do for a long time: The White Line 5.8 on Spire Rock. The Tims went up to Big Sky for more skiing. Sam actually lead the first pitch of Aerial Book and built his first trad anchor at the base of the second pitch of White Line's epic dihedral (a much more appealing start if you ask me). I cruised up the second pitch a whistling and a smiling and just having a ball on my first rock climb of the year. We rapped the top pitch and set up a top rope over some climbs just to the right of White Line. I top roped The Royal We 5.10d cleanly then Sam climbed Time Warp 5.11a but it took him a couple of tries to figure out the crux. I also tried Time Warp and almost got it but had to sit once at the crux. I mentioned earlier that we had been gambling on the weather and the gamble paid off until I got back on the ground from Time Warp. We were in warm sunshine most of the day even though we drove through a pretty good rain storm on the way there. Eventually the rain cloud that had been 100yds away all day reached us and it was time to go. It was a deluge back in Bozeman.
Sam, Me, Tim (from college), Tim
The route goes straight up above Manfred.

No comments:

Post a Comment