.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Pasture Gulch and Green Canyon Limestone climbing

A new guide recently was published that detailed a few, actually a ton, of climbing in the 'big empty' of central Montana. Being someone that thrives on new-to-me terrain, plans were made for a visit. Saturday night, Sam and I got 4 routes in on the Pasture Gulch craig as we watched the sun set. The hardest route we sent was a 5.10c/d called Cracks in my Confidence. Sunday Sam and I hiked into Green Canyon for some more Limestone climbing. Imagine Indian Creek (MT) in a lush backcountry slot canyon setting. Awesome. I am a big fan of granite and find myself usually targeting it but this trip got me re-stoked about Limestone. I started things off with a mixed lead of Cowography 5.8 9 bolts 120'. We rapped over the Ponderosa Wall and found some routes we just had to try. So Sam lead Bonanza 5.10a 8 bolts. Then I lead, though not cleanly, the ultra-classic Come Full Circle 5.11a/b 11 bolts. We were on a time crunch so we only got those 3 routes done but all are considered by Brunckhorst to be classics and I completely agree. Those were some of the best limestone pitches I have ever climbed. More in the sense of fun and featured than purely bullet-proof rock like Wolverine Bowl. The setting was a big contribution too; I wonder if anybody besides Brunckhorst's crew has been back there? Make an extra effort to check it out if you are ever in the area. My poor photography skills do this place no justice.
Da Gypsy Wagon
Pasture Gulch Craigs are an easy 5 minute walk from the road. 
Walking down into Green Canyon.
Cowography
Looking 120' down Cowography. Did I mention its a slot canyon?

Bonanza


Come Full Circle
I spy a keyhole! There is a 3 pitch climb called First Anniversary that goes right over top of it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment