.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Mason Lake Bouldering

The Tobacco Roots are my favorite mountains. Lots of reasons why. One of them is the untapped rock climbing. I probably shouldnt say that but if you can find the stuff I havnt climbed that I want to, kudos to your adventurous spirit! I would never discourage someone from being adventurous. There has been this looming 'big wall' rumor circulating around for years that I just had to investigate. So Sam, Joe and I took the bouldering pads and cameras for a walk. Said 'big wall' happens to be in a newly developed bouldering area dubbed the Mason Lakes boulders. We found and climbed several boulders on the way to the easily identifiable cliff on Hollowtop. Our first stop was at the Circus Cluster. There are 7 total problems from V0 to V5. I flashed everyone of the problems except a V1 called Step Right Up. That was the second or third time I have ever flashed V5! Next we walked up to the Black Beauty area so I could try a V6. And try is all I did, again and again and again... the V6 Interplanetary Insanitarium became a project. We waffled around on some other problems before ditching the gear and heading up to the cliff. We found some old bolts and pitons in a couple of different cracks. I knew there was no way in hell that Bozeman climbers hadnt been there. I have since learned of a couple of the original climbers. I dont really care that it has been sent though. It such a pretty place to climb on impeccable rock that is so easy to get to. I like that kind of climbing. Ill let the pics do most of the talking on this one. (I did not have a camera for this trip; pics courtesy of Sam)
Sam sending Circus Slab V0

The cliff band. The tallest section is straight down from the skyline highpoint. 


This lower right section has some superb looking single and two pitch trad routes.

Lower right hand buttress


The crack that is essentially coming straight pu tof the top of my head is continuous ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP! There is atleast two pitches that cant be seen; a ramp to an upper headwall.
Before I die, I will set my hammock up under that roof and attempt to sleep. 


Zoomed in on the upper section of the previously mentioned crack; notice its continuity!?

The crack of interest runs up the grey slab left of center. The old pins are on an old aide route that goes just left of the great roof.  There was an old bolt left of the crack of interest as well. 


The cliff is just above Joe at upper Mason Lake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment