.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Saturday, February 21, 2015

West Pine Creek Backcountry Ski Tour

With a large (for this season) dump of snow overnight, I figured I better do some skiing while it lasts. I had noticed a West Pine Creek National Forest sign on Trail Creek Road coming back from the Carnival Craig two weeks prior that I had not ever noticed before and it looked like great terrain for backcountry skiing so Mr.Curious me took the split board up there. 3 hours later I was a couple miles back and almost 3,000ft higher with the place to myself and anywhere from 4"-12" of fresh powder. I made some fantastic turns down down down to the creek making for a great ride. I probably had to skin out the last mile or so to the Trooper. 3 hours out, 1 hour back, thats why I absolutely love splitboard mountaineering. You can go one way so much further in a day when you know you are going to return at 100 times the speed you left. My favorite example was Mt.Hood; 4 hours to the Summit, 11 minutes back to the car! Granted I was gunning for it. Devin had to stop and take a breather.
That tree points the way out.
The no-name peak I skied off of.
First tracks. Last tracks. Only tracks. My tracks. 
W Pine creek

No comments:

Post a Comment