.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Friday, February 20, 2015

South Fork Pine Creek ice scouting mission

Seeing how we got back from the ice fishing trip a day early, I had an empty day to do something with. With the indian-summer-like weather we had been experiencing, I thought a trip up the South Fork of the East Fork of Pine Creek (the East Fork of Pine Creek is considered Pine Creek proper in Paradise Valley or THE Pine Creek when you say "I went to Pine Creek today") would be productive. The area is pretty much all in avalanche terrain but with this weird weather, I figured it would be safe. So I walked up to Pine Creek Falls armed with some snowshoes and branched off. I cached the snowshoes because there just wasnt much snow and where there was, it had a crust I wasnt really breaking through. I bushwhacked up to the cliffs on the NorthWest-ish face of Mt.Black looking for two climbs in particular; Gross and Klein Volkable. I found several drips on the way that have probably not been climbed more than once if at all. Gross was not in but Klein was looking good with pretty much no avy danger. After a snack, I descended down to the creek and kept walking South. I encountered multiple East facing ice climbs on the West side of the valley. I know a couple are in the guide books but a couple are not. With the prolific history of climbing in the area I have no doubt they have been climbed. I wanted to make it all the way to some climbs on the SouthWest face of Mt.Black called Neptune and Pluto (for good reason; 3 hour walk if you know where they are and how to get to them) but didnt make it before my turn-around time. I will definitely be back up there for some off-the-beaten-path ice climbing. I love the obscure ones. I actually dont know anybody who has been up there.

Some ice across the valley. This ice is facing E.
Some drips on the way to Kleine and Gross.



Looking back down the valley.
Kleine is the upper left flow, Gross is the lower right.

Gross in WI1-2 conditions.
Kleine
Ed's left and right?
Some E facing gully climbs. A few of these are in Big Sky Ice but not all. (Brain Camp?)
There is a cave with ice lookers right.
Each avy chute had ice in them somewhere; anyone want to go skiing!?
Ed's?

A cool mushroom.
The cave with ice to the right and above.
Multi-pitch ice flows in both chutes.


This blob was is facing W and was just barely poking through the trees.
The daunting W face of Mt.Black.

More E facing ice further up the S Fork.
To get to Neptune and Pluto (appropriately named) you have to walk through that saddle. I think.



A striking couloir.
Kleine from the creek bottom on the return trip.

Blue and Green gullies.

Paradise Valley
Rich folk cattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment