.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Monday, February 11, 2019

Cooke City Ice climbing first trip: Fossil Cave and Hydromonster

I had never climbed in Cooke City before but decided enough was enough and made plans to go camping and climbing out of that crazy little town. Usually during MLK weekend I go to Cody but Sam couldnt go this year so I roped Kyler in to going to Cooke City. Our first day was Kyler's day. We went to the Fossil Cave where he dry tooled a super hard cave route called Blonde Ambition (?). There was no time for me to climb by the time he was done. I dont even want to talk about the 'ski' out of there. Lets just say I suck at skiing in mountain boots.
Sunday was my day and I wanted to climb ice. One of the longest ice climbs around is called Hydromonster. Its pure ice and a within my abilities.... usually. For some reason, upon seeing the monster, I psyched myself out mentally. But we carried on. I try not to ever back down from a climb until I am standing at the base, harness on and roped up. It gives you time to think about things and calm down if needed. I calmed down and we free solod the first little pitch up to the main flow. I lead until I ran out of screws and had to belay Kyler up and he finished it. I had to sit on just about every screw because the pump in my forearms was too bad to climb continuously. That usually means you are over-gripping and using poor technique which means you are usually battling demons in your head. Whatever the case may be, we got to the top with out any falls.
Fossil Cave. Kyler sent the gap he is standing in.

Thanks Conrad for the customized bottle.
Doing everything he can to avoid the ice.


Slayed that puzzle and that box of wine.















No comments:

Post a Comment