.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Saturday, February 16, 2019

Cody WY; South Fork Ice: Too Cold to Fire, Mean Green

Usually Im ice fishing president's day weekend but this year found me down in Cody ice climbing with my good friends Lucas and Bailey. We showed about noon on a Saturday with just enough time to climb Too Cold to Fire WI4. We solo'd the approach pitches and I led the main pitch. This was a fantastic climb that I have tried to climb pretty much every trip I have taken to Cody. This year, the approach pitches were in and fat! I took a pretty good chunk of ice to the helmet and expected to find a crack upon inspection but I guess I got lucky!
Sunday we got a fashionably late start (very common theme with me) to the Mean Green 5 pitches WI4. It was a beautiful day but very cold. Luckily, a party of 3 was ahead of us cleaning off the ice and putting in the boot pack! Early bird doesnt always get the worm! I led every pitch but the final, easy, namesake pitch; my partners were cold and done. Time to get back to camp and start a bonfire!
Thats me dragging a rope through the approach pitches. Main pitch is above me to the right.

Here we go!


All smiles on top.
Photo Booth time!



Bailey rapping. 

Mean Green is the big main gully in the middle of the pic.

Crossing the Shoshone river.
Approaching pitch 1 and 2.
Me rope gunning on P1.

P4 crux pitch.
We kept a fire that big for a really long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment