.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Hyalite Canyon: Pallisade Perch

I have been eyeballing this chunk of rock for years. You cant help but stare at it if you have ever been in the Pallisade Falls parking lot. It looms above. So one day I scouted it and decided it needs bolts. I came back with everything but a harness; real dumb. Thats a long steep hike! I placed one bolt from a high stance just to see how the 'rock' was and was kind of 50:50 on whether or not I would hike back up. Back in the parking lot, however, it was just screaming climb me so I came back with a harness. I placed four more 4"x1/2" sleeve bolts before deciding that I like my back and ankles just the way they are. I thought the 'rock' might get better as I climbed but after reaching what appeared to be the good stuff, it was still crap. As a developer, if you cant trust the bolts, then wtf are you doing? I reached the wtf am I doing and bailed. At least I know I tried and the curiosity is at bay. Found a sweet bivy cave on the way down.


This face is about 70m tall. Now has 5 bolts and a bail biner on it.
Looking up from the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment