.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Ice Scouting and Hotspringing

With some free time because of the holidays and a little cold weather, I thought it prudent to start ice hunting. I had my girlfriend's dirt bike in my truck so on my way back from Townsend, I took a little ride up in to the mountains to get a close look at one (mtn) in particular. One tiny ribbon of ice but plenty of wet streaks so Ill be keeping tabs once per month until she comes in. Saturday Megan, Manfred and I took a drive over the continental divide to scout another area I have had in mind for some time now. No ice but soooo freakin much potential that I will also be driving over there once per month to investigate. [Im being obscure on purpose because Im a selfish climber. I dont particularly like teasing my climbing readers but I try hard to find first ascents and I dont feel like I have to give them away. Once things have been climbed, then I release the beta. So they are not permanent secrets, just temporary. Dont hate.] We stopped at a rustic hotspring on the way back and surprisingly we were to be the only ones there! Sunday found Manfred and I up the E fork of Hyalite looking for ice and cleaning out some Alder bushes from Treasure Hunter. Treasure Hunter is definitely forming and this cold forecast is going to push it in to 'in' shape. Slight of Hand is getting close as well as Killer Pillar and The Big Sleep. Comet and Asteroid are in, not High Crimes and Misdemeanors though (if thats the route to the left of Comet Alley?). Didnt drive up to Grotto. Plenty of dumbass drivers in the ditch and I didnt dare go up there. Almost comical but nerve-racking at the same time; one of them could slide in to me. There is an EASY solution for even the two wheel drive cars heading up there; SLOW DOWN! I always bring all the necessary equipment to get myself un-stuck but I use it more to help other people than to help myself. I will always stop and help but dont be surprised if Im not thrilled about spending extra time in the cold getting unprepared people out of the ditch.


The Jefferson


I started a little fire because its fun.

Pitch 1. Approach like you're going to Slight of Hand but turn right at bridge instead of left. Cross creek and go uphill a short ways.
The Big Sleep on the left and Killer Pillar lower right.
Thats the most ice I have ever seen on that rock. Hopefully it grows to the ground! Looks a lot like the Moratorium.

No comments:

Post a Comment