.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Monday, October 5, 2015

'SourBear' Rock Scouting

I spied this rock last summer and I finally got a chance to go check it out. Its in a gully between Bear Canyon and Sourdough Canyon so I dubbed it the SourBear. I figured I would be fighting private property to get to it but thank god for smart phones; I have an app that tells me exactly where I am and what type of land Im on (state, blm, private...). 3 miles later I reached the base of it. I reached the base of the North and East aspects anyway and Im kicking myself in the ass for not checking out the South and West aspects. I guess I was just hoping to find 'lower Bear Canyon'-esque Sandstone and when I found Limestone I kind of got turned off. Its not that I dont enjoy Limestone but Bozeman could use some more pockety Sandstone climbs. I found little badges of bomber rock but the rock itslef just isnt tall enough for me to bolt. They would be like 2-3 bolt quarter pitches. But the West side could be tall. I imagine its just like the rest of all the Limestone I have seen around New World Gulch and Bear Canyon though... spotty at best. I doubt people would walk that far for that type of climbing. Maybe Ill go back someday and give it the twice over. (Hint Hint: Im giving out the location in hopes someone else will walk all the way out there and tell me what they find on that big right/West side! If you need help bolting it, get a hold of me!).
As seen from Triple Tree. 

Are these really from the era when the Gallatins were the bottom of the ocean?
Rock Hound.
This is a look at the North and West aspects. I looked at it all and for some reason never poked my head over the edge. I think it was supposed to rain or something. But if you look at the first photo, you can see it has one big side to it; the side you cant see in this photo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment