.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Beehive Peak

Sam has been wanting to climb Beehive for a while now, needing some practice for alpine climbing. I agreed. Its probably the best introduction for alpine climbing around Bozeman. I have summited Beehive atleast 5 times from 3 different routes. One of them being the New World route with Lucas a few years back. I wanted to do a repeat of that route. We got to the base late apparently because there were already two other parties climbing their respective pitch 2s (they were not on the New World route). I lead the first monster pitch without a pause and stopped level with the other two parties. It was kind of fun chatting with people while you were 160' or so off the deck. But I stared and stared above the belay looking for the second pitch but I couldnt make anything appear. I started faintly remembering Lucas doing this pitch with extreme runouts on semi-secure climbing. I wasnt feeling it. My/the escape was 6' to my right but it was clogged with a team of 3 (Worker Bee). We waited but they were climbing too slow so alas, we bailed. Its not fun bailing when there are two cute girls right next to you climbing the hardest(?) route out there. Usually they make you bolder but not today. I very rarely dont reach my objective and that feeling isnt all bad. I really want to go back, do that first pitch again (because its awesome!), then step right and take her to the top. Failure can be motivating. If we had gotten it, Im not sure if I would be back for the next 10 years or so here's to second attempts! 
Beehive Peak is the highpoint way out there left of center.
Looking up P1. Not much gear but solid, fun climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment