.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Backcountry skiing: Goose Creek (Thursday) and Lick Creek (Sunday)

Is it hard to go to work or just so easy to go skiing? I answered my own question twice last week; its hard to go to work WHEN the skiing is so good! (Avy) Conditions on Ellis were so bad I decided to steer as clear of avy terrain as possible and what better venue than Goose Creek? Knock on wood but I dont think Goose Creek Meadows can avalanche. There are some teeny little tiny little headwalls that, given the worst possible conditions you have ever heard of, could slide about 10 ft but nothing that could bury you. The weather relented for a bit and I was awarded some great views of the Absarokas. A couple of powder laps with the place to myself later, I was ready for work.

Cowen is the tallest pyramid in the middle.
Still wanting to play in the snow, Manfred and I spun a lap on Lick Creek meadow. I have never taken the little guy BC skiing before. I figured the skin track would be set and he would have a nice path to walk on. He loved all 6 miles (round) of it! I stopped a couple of times thinking he would want to take a break but he just kept on going right past me! He pretty much ran the entire way back, being happy and friendly with the other trail users, wagging his tail all the way to the truck. If you have ever met my lazy Basset Hound you would be as surprised as I am. This trip I was awarded with great views of the northern Gallatins. 
My archaic splitboard set-up: This is like generation one of the splitboard scene. Destined for the museum. 
There was some crazy fog stuck in the valley from an inversion. What looks like snow is actually this creamy smooth fog.  I dont know if my pic captured it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment