.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Friday, September 4, 2015

Labor Day weekend: Maiden Rock(less), Humbug Spires, hotsprings, crystals and camping

Manfred and I got to spend 5 nights on the Big Hole river over labor day weekend. The idea was to get a bunch of climbing in but the weather decided not to cooperate. I spent a day (Thursday) looking for some climbs on a rock called Maiden Rock but I found nothing. I have since learned where it actually is. Lucas and Bailey showed up Thursday evening and we cruised over to Jackson Hotspring for a soak. Friday was all Fairmont Hotsprings complete with a couple of water slide rides which were the cause of our premature departure. Without Bailey's blessings, Lucas and I jumped in the slide right behind her and exited as a large group. That was our last ride. We were asked to leave. Sam and Terra showed up Friday night and we partied as a large group. Saturday was another pooky weather day so we threw the shovels and gold pans in my truck and took a beautiful drive down the Pioneer Scenic Byway to Crystal Park. Crystal Park is a hill that is covered, and I mean covered, in quartz crystals. Like the kind used in jewelry. We all just picked a spot at random an began digging. The crystals started showing up immediately! Digging for crystals turned us all into little kids again! It was exciting! We found some monsters and we really didnt have any idea of what we were doing. Elkhorn Hotspring is just a short jaunt further so naturally we stopped for a soak. Three different hotsprings in 3 days; its not climbing but Im not complaining. Sunday we awoke to good weather and took off for the 400-600' Wedge in the Humbugs. Lucas and Bailey went up the Mutt and Jeff while Sam and I went up the SW face. Super duper fun climbs (I have done them both as well as the SE chimney to the top). Sam's biggest climb to date! Terra and Manfred hunted timber griz while we climbed. Monday was departure day, always a sad endeavor.
If you want to know where the climbing is not....
I have spent my entire life in MT. I couldnt possibly count the number of cattle guards I have crossed. Never have I ever even seen a cow stuck in one. Then there was this guy. He got stuck, nobody got him out. He died, nobody pulled him out. He has since completely rotted away and nobody has removed him. Im no more than 1 mile from a paved road.... I dont get it. Sad.
The Gypsy Wagon 
THE Maiden Rock proper has no climbing on it. It really has no potential for climbing either. The rock is mostly crap. 
Chillin, beer, dogs, climbing. Im easy to please.
Thanks Anna (and Annas Dad Andy) for getting me a super sharp saw to burry into my thumb. I hadnt even started drinking yet!
Waking up to snow on Labor Day weekend? That snow line cant be higher than 6500'.
When you are indecisive in a place like MT where there is always a million things to do; bring it all. Better to have and not need it than need it and not have it. Climbing gear, hotspring gear, crystal hunting gear, a bike, beer.


300' cliff on the Wise River. Theres no way it hasnt been climbed. Looks awesome eventhough the base is all scree. 


Super generic looking hillside that just happens to be chock full of quartz crystals. 
I like this photo mostly because the guy drilling is smoking a cig. Smoking while drilling holes for dynamite sounds like a good idea! Those crazy a@#holes.














No comments:

Post a Comment