.post-body img { max-width:300px; max-height:auto; }

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Tetons link-up: Buck to Static to Albright

Went down to the Tetons for my third attempt at linking Buck mountain to Static mountain to Albright peak. First attempt got rained out at the TH, second attempt had me running off Buck 5 minutes from the summit with lightning on my heels. I actually had to perform my first real/serious self-arrest on the East face snow field cause I slipped while glissading. Both those trips were solo missions but I was able to talk my friend Neil into spending all day running around the mountains. We summited Buck in a little over 3 hours and were on Static a couple hours later. The numerous tourists couldnt believe we had just come "from that mountain over there?!" From the top of Static, we hopped down to the Alaska Basin trail, took it to the saddle and scrambled up Albright. From Albright, we took the AK Basin trail down to Death Canyon for a leisurely walk out. 10 hours and ~16miles later with lord knows how many feet gained (7K-8Kft) we were back at the car. My camera batteries pooped on me on Buck so Im missing some summit photos. 
A commanding view of the Cathedral group from the South.

Timberline Lake were we had lunch before scrambling up Static via the obvious couloir coming down off the E ridge. From the col, we traversed a disintegrating class IV hillside until we could scramble up scree and grass to the summit and surprise the hell out of the tourists. 


Some amateur photography.



Hey there's Neil on Buck mountain.

Looks like a weirdo not a Buck.

Looking down at Death Canyon.


No comments:

Post a Comment